The ILGA-Europe Annual Review of the Human Rights Situation of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Trans and Intersex People is ILGA-Europe’s flagship publication. It provides an annual authoritative statement of the legislative, political and social developments relevant to LGBTI people in Europe over what happened in the last calendar year. It reports on and documents the human rights situation during the period 1 January – 31 December in all 49 European countries and the 4 International/European institutions. ILGA-Europe is looking for a Writing Expert to work on compilation of information (including fact-checking), writing and editing of the 49 country chapters. (October 2012 -February 2013).
PROCESS OF PRODUCTION OF THE ANNUAL REVIEW: The process of production of the Annual Review is a collective one. The Writing Expert will thus work closely with the ILGA-Europe editorial team and will be expected to coordinate the compilation of each country chapter with the relevant Country Experts. The ILGA-Europe editorial team is responsible for the drafting of the introductory/editorial and institutional chapters. The ILGA-Europe staff is also responsible for final edits of the overall publication. The Country Experts are responsible for coordinating input between member organisations and the main identified experts in the country that they are responsible for. They contribute to the fact-checking process and to identifying the main themes for each country chapters.
TERMS OF REFERENCES
The researcher and writing expert will be responsible for:
- Compiling and fact-checking country information
- Identifying the main themes to be covered in each country chapter, in conjunction with the Country Experts
- Drafting and editing country chapters, according to the Compilation Guidelines produced by ILGA-Europe’s editorial team
- Meet the deadlines identified in the Annual Review Guidelines
- Demonstrated ability to write in clear and simple English, while respecting nuances
- Demonstrated ability to summarise complex information
- Knowledge of human rights language and framework and knowledge of LGBTI specific issues
- Ability to liaise effectively and smoothly with both country experts and ILGA-Europe staff
- Ability to work under pressure and to respect deadlines
BUDGET AVAILABLE: 10,000 Euros (inclusive of VAT)
Submission of tender document: Tenders must submit a cover letter, CV, research writing sample (PDF documents and/or link to online published materials). The cover letter must include the explanation of how the tenderer meets all the requirements listed above.
ENQUIRIES: Silvan Agius, Policy Director or Juris Lavrikovs, Communications Manager
For queries/ submissions: email@example.com