The European Council on Foreign Relations (ECFR) is a pan-European initiative which seeks to conduct research and promote informed debate across Europe on the development of coherent, effective and values-based European foreign policy.
ECFR currently has offices in London (HQ), Berlin, Madrid, Paris, Rome, Sofia and Warsaw.
JOB PURPOSE: The editor (MENA) has a key function in ensuring that ECFR’s Middle East and North Africa (MENA) publications are produced to the highest standards of quality. Working closely with the editorial director and the head of the MENA programme, s/he will steer MENA reports, briefs and memos through the publications process. In particular, this involves working with the head of the MENA programme and authors to clarify at the outset the scope, aims and methodology of each publication; facilitating the involvement of all stakeholders at relevant stages; and editing draft texts.
PLACE IN THE ORGANISATION: The editor will report to the editorial director, and will work closely with the head of the MENA programme, MENA policy fellows, the head of programmes, the communications team and others involved in the publications process. In the interaction with authors, s/he has an authoritative voice in assessing the quality of proposed outlines and drafts, and will refer major issues of contention to the editorial director.
- Co-ordinate the process of consultation and decision-making on MENA reports, briefs and memos from proposal to final text.
- Ensure that scope, aims and methodology of a publication are sufficiently clear at the start of the process.
- Exercise quality control throughout the process with regard to argument, structure and policy recommendations.
- Ensure adequate processing of drafts and editing of texts.
- Set and maintain realistic timetables.
- Ensure close involvement of internal stakeholders.
- Liaise with relevant Council members and external contacts.
- A proven track record of editing and re-writing texts under time pressure.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, with flawless native command of written English.
- Proven print journalistic experience.
- Knowledge of the workings of the EU institutions and awareness of new developments.
- Knowledge of the Middle East and North Africa.
- Good organisational skills.
- IT proficient.
- Flexibility: ability to multi-task, work towards deadlines and manage stress situations.
- Able to work individually as well as part of a multi-disciplinary and multi-national team and to develop effective relationships.
- Organisational aptitude and a good eye for detail.
- Interest in issues of concern to ECFR.
PLEASE NOTE: No phone calls please. Due to the large volume of candidates applying for positions within ECFR, we will ONLY be able to respond to shortlisted candidates.
ECFR is an equal opportunities employer.
For queries/ submissions: firstname.lastname@example.org