We will be reviewing submissions for our 1st annual Writing Contest. The Women’s National Book Association is a 90+ year old venerated organization of women and men across the broad spectrum of writing and publishing. Our membership includes Editors, Publishers, Literary Agents, Professors, Academics, Librarians, Authors, Book Marketers and many others involved in the world of books.
After years of celebrating published authors, extraordinary book women (see our WNBA Award under “Awards”) and others in the field, we have decided it is time to celebrate emerging writers.
Please send us only your highest caliber work.
- Submission Period: June 1st – November 1th, 2012
- Fiction 2,500 word limit – may be a short story, or a stand alone excerpt from a novel in progress.
- Poetry: 35 line limit – or one page double spaced
- Previously unpublished work only.
- Your entry must be uploaded without your name, address, or contact information on the actual document. Your contact information will be collected on a separate form when you submit your entry. Applicants must be 18 years of age or older.
- You may submit more than one entry, however, each one must be separately submitted.
- Acceptable formats are: Word Document 2007, Word Document 2003 or earlier version, RTF (Rich Text Format)
Fiction: Valerie Martin. Valerie is an award-winning author (Kafka Prize, Orange Prize) with 9 novels, 3 short story collections, and one biography.
Poetry: Julie Kane, Poet Laureate, Louisiana, 2011-2013. Julie has authored six books, including three collections of poetry, one volume of non-fiction, and two edited anthologies.
- Entry: 3 poems or 1 short story.
- WNBA Members: $10 per entry
- Non-Members: $15 per entry
PRIZE: $250 cash prize and publication in the Bookwoman, the official publication of the Women’s National Book Association, with 10 chapters nationwide.
Proceeds from the contest will go to support scholarships for writing conferences and other professional development training.
For queries: firstname.lastname@example.org
For submissions: via submittable