(Note: This competition requires an entry fee. Please participate with caution.)
We know that not every writer is a performer, so this is an opportunity for those happier behind the scenes to truly shine. That's why we're happy to be continuing the Comedy Writing Award in 2012, in association award winning comedy production company The Comedy Unit.
We are pleased to confirm our judges: award winning writers Hattie Naylor and Harry Venning, co-founder of the BritMums network, Jennifer Howze, newspaper columnist and Funny Women Charity Challenge winner Rowan Pelling and Creative Director of Development at The Comedy Unit, Gavin Smith. You can read more about the judges HERE.
£500 script option fee for a 12 month development period, including three weeks intensive mentoring to complete the 30 minute script with dedicated access to a professional script editor.
- Short synopsis of the idea – Maximum one page.
- Entries will be 8 – 15 pages maximum of a 30 minute comedy script
- The comedy script can be aimed at radio or television/visual production. However we are not looking for a live play.
- The comedy script can take the form of sitcom, sketch, comedy drama, character monologues, (anything really) but it must feel like it would work as a coherent whole across a 30 Minute audience experience. I.E. ten 3 minute web viral episodes stuck together is not a 30 minute script.
- The sample does not have to begin at the start of the script but must run straight through from where it does start.
- If you feel it necessary you can add a short paragraph (max) detailing any relevant / key story information that isn’t in the script sample (EG: how the story started before the sample, how it will end after etc.)
- Only the following file formats will be accepted: PDF (preferred), .doc, or rtf. with the title of the work and your name in the script title.
- Ensure that your name, email address and phone number are included on the document.
- Entrants must be registered for the Funny Women Awards in order to enter. If already registered under the performance category, you do not need to register a second time.
- Please send entries to firstname.lastname@example.org with 'Comedy Writing Award' in the title.
- As part of Funny Women's dedication to new talent, only those who have not previously had a paid script commission are eligible to enter.
- A shortlist of six scripts will be presented to industry judges. Three finalists will be invited to the Funny Women Final on Monday 24th September at the Leicester Square Theatre where the winner will be announced.
For queries/ submissions: email@example.com