Deadline: 31 August 2012
(Note: This competition requires an entry fee. Please participate with caution.)
Open only to women writers. 4,000 – 10,000 words. Winning and shortlisted entrants will be considered for inclusion in the SPINELESSWONDERS Long Shorts e-stories series.
Amanda Lohrey is the author of several novels, including the award-winning Camille’s Bread. Her first collection of stories, Reading Madame Bovary (Black Inc 2010) won both the Fiction and Australian Short Story Collection—Arts Queensland Steele Rudd Award in 2011. She discusses long stories and her collection, Reading Madame Bovary, here http://bit.ly/bJIqLQ
TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF ENTRY
1. Entries must be from 4,000 – 10,000 words in length.
2. Entries must be printed on one side only, using 1.5 line spacing and 12 pt font size. The pages of stories must be numbered and must include the story title (but not author name).
3. Stories under consideration by another competition or publication or previously published or awarded, at a national level, will not be accepted.
4. Entries will be judged anonymously. The author’s name must not appear on the manuscript.
5. The judge’s decision will be final. No correspondence will be entered into.
6. Entrants must be over 18 years of age.
7. Entrants must be either Australian citizens (living anywhere), or permanent residents of Australia.
8. Entry fee is $20.00. Multiple entries are acceptable. Payment can be made using Paypal via the Product page on our website, by cheque or money order made out to Spineless Wonders and mailed along with entries.
9. Each individual entry must be accompanied by a Covering Letter providing name, address, phone and email contact details, story title and word count.
10. Mail entries to:
Carmel Bird Long Story Competition
PO Box 220
11. Entries must be postmarked 31 August, 2012 or earlier. Late entries will not be accepted.
12. Shortlisted entries will be notified no later than February, 2013. Results will be announced via this website on International Women’s Day, Friday, 8 March, 2013.
13. The winning and shortlisted stories will be considered for publication in electronic form by SPINELESSWONDERS as part of its upcoming Long Shorts series. Proceeds of the e-story series sales will go directly to authors, excluding a minimal percentage to cover administration costs. Further details regarding issues such as copyright, distribution etc are included in the publisher-author contractual agreement.
For queries: firstname.lastname@example.org
For submissions: Carmel Bird Long Story Competition, PO Box 220, STRAWBERRY HILLS, NSW 2012