Deadline: 30 August 2012
As the national body supporting writers in New Zealand, our organisation is keen to promote Asian writing and offer an opportunity for Asian writers to showcase their work. Thanks to the generous support of our sponsor, we are able to offer the NZSA Asian Short Story Award again in 2012.
Entry is open to New Zealand permanent residents who are Asian or of Asian ethnicity. Short stories will be in English, and the theme is open. Stories will ideally contain some Asian content, though not necessarily be set in Asia.
The minimum length of entries is 2,500 words, and the maximum length of entries is 3,500 words. There is a total of $4,500 in cash prizes. First prize: $3,000. Second: $1,000. Third: $500. The competition deadline is 30 August 2012.
TERMS & CONDITIONS
Information on how to enter form part of these terms and conditions. By participating, entrants agree to be bound by the terms and conditions.
1. Entry is open to New Zealand permanent residents or NZ citizens who are Asian or of Asian ethnicity. Authors will be descendants of one of the following Asian countries or territories: Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, Cambodia, East Timor, India, Indonesia, Japan, Laos, Malaysia, Mongolia, Myanmar, Nepal, North Korea, Pakistan, Papua New Guinea, Philippines, Singapore, South Korea, Sri Lanka, Taiwan, Thailand, The Hong Kong or Macau Special Administrative Regions, The Maldives, The People’s Republic of China, Vietnam; “Citizen” in the case of the Hong Kong or Macau SAR may be taken to be permanent residency.
2. The competition opens in May and closes on 30 August 2012.
3. The minimum length of entries is 2,500 words, and the maximum length of entries is 3,500 words.
4. All entries must be received no later than 5pm on Thursday, 30 August 2012; otherwise the entry will not be accepted. The New Zealand Society of Authors (NZSA) takes no responsibility for lost, damaged, misdirected, late, illegible or incomplete entries.
5. All entries must be accompanied by a manuscript, typed in English, double-spaced and on one side of A4 paper only. There is no limit to the number of entries an individual may submit but each entry must be submitted individually and each entry must be accompanied by a completed 2012 entry form. We recommend that careful proofreading for grammar and punctuation is undertaken prior to submission as this could affect your chances of placement.
6. All personal information is to be printed on a separate cover page, with only page numbers and story title on all other pages.
7. Entrants must be able to prove they are of Asian descent. Please supply a copy of the personal details page from your passport, or other similar document, or a letter of reference.
7. No electronic submissions will be accepted. No late submissions will be accepted.
8. Manuscripts will not be returned to the entrants.
9. The minimum age for entry is 16 years of age.
10. Stories must be the original work of the entrant alone and no entry may have been published or broadcast, or submitted for publication or broadcast, or entered into any other competition until after 15 November 2012.
11. All entries submitted remain the property of the entrant.
12. Prizes for the winners are as follows: 1st $3,000, 2nd $1,000, 3rd $500.
13. A shortlist of 5 will be announced in late October. Winners will be announced in the NZSA enews and on the website during November – www.authors.org.nz
14. The finalists' names, entry details, biographical information and photographs will be required by the NZSA and will be used for promotional purposes without compensation. You will consent to this use of your details by entering the competition.
15. The judges’ decision regarding the winners’ is final and no correspondence will be entered into by judges or NZSA personnel.
Download: entry form
For inquiries: email@example.com
For submissions: send entries to NZSA Asian Short Story Competition, P O Box 7701, Wellesley St, Auckland 1141