Are you an experienced writer with a minority background? Guardian News & Media is always looking for new voices as part of our commitment to the diversity of our editorial content and the writers that we use.
If you belong to a minority group through your ethnicity, gender, disability, age, sexual orientation, religion or belief*, we invite you to apply for a place on a minority writers' seminar with editors from the Guardian's Comment, G2 shortcuts, and Culture sections.
Twenty shortlisted writers will be invited to join us for a workshop at the Guardian offices in Kings Place, London on Wednesday 12 September 2012, to:
- approach commissioning editors and pitch your ideas
- create a link between new writers and Guardian editors
The deadline is Midnight on Sunday 26 August 2012.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
1. You must be a UK resident aged 18 and over in order to apply for a place on the Minority Writers Pitching Seminar taking place at Kings Place, 90 York Way, London, N1 9GU on Wednesday 12 September 2012 ("Seminar") and belong to a minority group through your ethnicity, gender, disability, age, sexual orientation, religion or belief. Employees of Guardian News & Media Limited ("GNM", "We") and its group companies are not eligible to apply.
2. By applying for a place on the Seminar you are accepting these terms and conditions.
3. To apply, you must submit the following online:
- Three ideas (1 for each section and a max 200 words each) for articles in Comment, G2 shortcuts, and Culture sections.
- Details of your published work (including blogs and publications).
5. You own the copyright to your application as its author.
6. Your submission must be your own work, must not be copied, must not contain any third-party materials and/or content that You do not have permission to use and must not otherwise be obscene, defamatory or in breach of any applicable legislation or regulations. If We have reason to believe your submission is not your own work or otherwise breaches this paragraph 6, then We may not consider it.
7. We will select twenty people to attend the seminar from all those who apply. Successful applicants will be notified by email in the week commencing Monday 3 September 2012. Our decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into. Unsuccessful applicants will not be notified.
8. Applications on behalf of another person will not be accepted and joint submissions are not allowed.
9. We take no responsibility for applications that are lost, delayed, misdirected or incomplete or cannot be delivered or entered for any technical or other reason. Proof of delivery of the application is not proof of receipt.
10. We are unable to cover travel costs to attend the Seminar at Kings Place on 12 September 2012.
11. All attendees of the Seminar must be prepared to develop the pitches that they submitted as part of their application. By attending the Seminar, You give GNM permission for the article that you submitted with your application or any revised versions of the article to be published in G2, Culture, or Comment and on www.guardian.co.uk. However the publication of all articles is subject to our discretion and we do not guarantee that we will publish any articles submitted either before or after the Seminar by attendees of the Seminar.
Link: pitching guidance
For submissions: apply via the online application page