All accepted writings will be a part of the published book, tentatively titled, "Here, Our Voices: The Person of Color Trans-Identified Experience".
This anthology is being compiled by Michael David Battle to pay tribute to the Person of Color trans-identified experience, as our experience has significant differences from the White trans-identified experience.
We are looking for original, well-written personal essays, memoirs, or stories that are based on autobiographical experiences. The narrative must be in first person. Other than that, the contest is open to any type, genre or style of story. Stories can be funny or sad, serious, artsy or fragmented. We are interested in pushing the boundaries of memoir and also in just regular memoir that doesn't try too hard--so long as it moves us. This contest is open to any writer of any age. Anyone from any country can submit an essay, so long as it's written in English. If you have any questions, please use the "Contact Michael and E.P." tab on the left or e-mail Michael at firstname.lastname@example.org.
THE ANTHOLOGY WILL HAVE SIX THEMES
- Breaking Gender Binaries (Are you a boy or a girl?)
- Work and/or School
All writings must be submitted to email@example.com. Please, indicate "Writing Contest" in the subject line.
- The authors of the best writing for each category will be highlighted in the book and will have a photograph and short bio on the inside cover of the finished book.
- All entries must be accompanied by the waiver of ownership entry form, below (Any submission without the form will not be considered for publication)
- All contestants should be a Person of Color trans-identified persons.
- Entry Fee: $5
- Multiple submissions are accepted, however, an additional $2.50 entry fee is required for each additional story.
- (If the entry fee is prohibiting you from entering the contest, please contact Michael and E.P. by clicking on the "Contact Michael and E.P.". Accommodations will be made.)
- Entry must be previously unpublished (this includes websites and blogs).
- Any form of writing (poetry, prose, essay, etc.) is acceptable
- The title page should include: The title of the story, the chosen theme under which your writings fall (e.g., family, faith, work, etc.), your full name and whether you want your name to be withheld, e-mail address, full street address and phone number.
- The title of the manuscript should appear on every page. The pages should be numbered.
- No more than 2,000 words
- Save as an RTF or DOC format (Please, do not submit in any other format or entry will not be accepted) and as an attachment.
- Winners will be announced on August 1, 2012. We will announce them by e-mail and on our website.
- Simultaneous submissions are accepted, however, if your manuscript is accepted elsewhere, you need to let us know immediately that you are withdrawing your submission.
- Manuscripts will not be returned
Link: entry fee payment
For queries/ submissions: firstname.lastname@example.org