The Artist Enrichment grant application is now available. Applications must be postmarked by September 7, 2012.
The Artist Enrichment (AE) program provides opportunities for feminist artists and arts organizations to further their artistic development to create art for positive social change. Applicants may request funds for a range of activities including: artistic development, artist residencies, the exploration of new areas or techniques, or to build a body of work. Applicants to the AE grant program, like the AMA grant program, should show high artistic quality in the work sample, and should be able to demonstrate their commitment to feminism and their understanding of the relationship between art and social change. Both grant programs are arts-based and feminist in nature.
EXAMPLE OF AWARDED ARTIST ENRICHMENT GRANTS: A literary artist in Louisville completes one week of research in a library archives on pre-Judaic culture for a novel based on the apocryphal Book of Judith. The research and revisions will enrich her capacities as a writer, and the novel will raise awareness of the important role of women in religion, and the universal vitality of women’s courage and friendships.
WHO MAY APPLY FOR KFW GRANTS? Individual artists and organizations who are engaging in arts-based activities may apply. Applicants must be residents of Kentucky. KFW is committed to making grants accessible to all, regardless of age, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, physical ability, education level, economic condition, or geographic origin.
WHAT CRITERIA ARE USED IN THE REVIEW PROCESS? The reviewers assess the applications based on the following criteria:
- Artwork in sample is strong, highly original, and reflects feminism and social change.
- AE grant: Proposed activities will further applicant’s development as a feminist social change artist. AMA grant: Proposed activities will directly benefit women and girls in Kentucky.
- Application and work sample demonstrate applicant’s understanding and practice of feminism.
- Application and work sample demonstrate a clear understanding of the relationship between art and social change.
- Work plan, timeline, and budget are clear, detailed, and realistic.
- Applicant’s ability to complete the proposed activities is clearly shown.
Note: When considering applications of equal merit, the KFW Board of Directors has asked reviewers to give priority to underrepresented demographic populations and first time applicants (applicants who have not received KFW funding).
HOW MUCH MONEY CAN I REQUEST? Grants range from $ 1,000 to $7,500. Due to the number of strong applications received, KFW reviewers are rarely able to recommend full funding. The typical grant award is $2,000 to $4,000 for artist enrichment grants, and $3,000 to $5,000 for Art Meets Activism grants.
WHAT IS THE GRANT APPLICATION TIMELINE?
- Application Deadline: September 7, 2012
- Notification Sent: November 30, 2012
- Checks Sent: December 30,2012
- Final Reports Due: January 1, 2014
WHAT ARE THE ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS?
Because KFW is a private 501(c)3 foundation, grants cannot be used for:
- business enterprises
- for-profit organizations
- tuition costs or living expenses while working toward a degree
- promotion of specific religious doctrines
- endowment or capital campaigns or renovations of institutional facilities
- general operating costs for organizations
Because KFW focuses on supporting the creation of art by feminists in Kentucky, KFW does not fund:
- non-art related expenses (i.e., overdue bills, taxes, etc.)
- work conducted by artists or organizations that have not resided in Kentucky for at least one year at the time of application
- activities that do not focus on improving the lives of Kentucky women and girls
Download: application form
For queries: firstname.lastname@example.org
For submissions: The Kentucky Foundation for Women, 332 West Broadway, Suite 1215, Louisville, KY 40202