Arktoi Books, an imprint of Red Hen Press, was established in 2006 by Eloise Klein Healy to publish literary works of high quality by lesbian writers. The mission of Arktoi Books is to give lesbian writers more access to "the conversation" that having a book in print affords. Submissions by both new and established authors are welcome. See the schedule below for submission dates. Each year the imprint will publish a minimum of one book.
Arktoi welcomes submissions from all lesbian authors. Basic guidelines are below, but make sure to check the website prior to your submission in case we have modified our guidelines.
- Submissions sent at times other than our submission period (see schedule to right) will be returned unread.
- Poetry manuscripts should be between 50 and 80 pages.
- All manuscripts should be submitted as an attachment to an email (Microsoft Word .doc file or Adobe .pdf file).
- The cover page of the manuscript should include the name, address, phone number, and email address of the writer.
- A cover letter, sent via email with a poetry manuscript (and hardcopy with fiction or nonfiction manuscript), should present a short biographical statement by the writer and and overview of the work.
- 2012 (Aug - Nov): poetry
- 2013 (Aug - Nov): poetry
- 2014 (Jan - Mar): nonfiction
Manuscripts should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org, as should inquires about the press.
For queries/ submissions: email@example.com