Are you a talented sub-editor looking for a new challenge? Do you fancy putting your stamp on a magazine production process? We are looking for a Production Editor to be part of our exciting women’s interest magazine launch at Future.
You will have a rare opportunity to help shape the magazine production process of Future’s newest print magazine. You’ll play a key role in establishing a workflow, schedules and style book during the magazine launch. On a monthly basis you’ll oversee the copy flow of the magazine, and ensure that every issue is produced to the highest standards and that deadlines are met. You will be sub-editing raw copy and fitting InDesign pages ensuring that high levels of accuracy and editorial quality are maintained. In addition to sub-editing contributors’ copy, you will have the opportunity to write regular copy for the magazine and help develop the online presence of the magazine through blogging, social media and newsletters.
We’re looking for a real all-round talent who can write sub-edit and organise the team. You’ll have proven experience running the magazine production process, preferably on a newsstand magazine. With an excellent command of written English and high standards of spelling, punctuation and grammar, you’ll have a keen eye for detail and a passion for accuracy. Fantastic organisation and time management skills are essential, as well as being able to work well under pressure to meet tight deadlines and troubleshoot problems. Experience of using Adobe InDesign to sub-edit magazine pages is essential.
So if you want to be the Production Editor of Future’s exciting new woman’s interest magazine, we would love to hear from you. Click the apply button now to submit your CV and covering letter, telling us why your sub-editing skills would be suitable for this role.
JOB OVERVIEW: There are two parts to the job. The first is to establish a workflow, schedules and style book during the launch stage. The second is to run the magazine on a monthly basis by organising workflow around the magazine team and contributors; sub-editing copy to house style; fitting InDesign pages ready for the Editor’s sign-off; champion accuracy and appropriateness of all editorial copy and ensure that all deadlines are met.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES AND ACCOUNTABILITIES
- Sub-editing incoming copy to the given criteria including: adherence to house style / tone, word count, grammatical accuracy, legal accuracy, spelling, complying with other details in Editor’s commissions.
- Fitting InDesign pages with all the above criteria, adding or amending captions, standfirsts, headers, etc, where necessary and ensuring page numbers, folios and other page furniture are correct.
- Making Editor’s amendments and approving PDF proofs when directed.
- Creating, maintaining and distributing the magazine’s house style guide.
- Policing flow of magazine content from Editor’s commission to page approval, chasing external contributors and team members where necessary. Setting deadlines and writing commissions when directed.
- Flatplanning or maintaining flatplan as agreed with Editor.
- Sub-editing and contributing to all other areas of magazine activity – marketing / subs fliers, covermounts, books etc, and branded websites if appropriate.
- Recruitment, management, training and development of Production Assistant where appropriate. Management of freelance or other temporary sub-editing resources and budget.
- Liaising with other in-house departments (ad sales, marketing, production, etc) and external agencies.
- Other ad-hoc duties as required
- Experience as a Production Editor on a monthly consumer magazine (or an exceptional
- production assistant looking to step up).
- Exceptional standards of spelling, grammar and punctuation.
- Excellent accuracy and attention to detail.
- Organisation and time-management skills.
- Effective communication and teamwork skills.
- Ability to use InDesign, Microsoft Word, and Excel.
- Magazine Publishing Law
- Self-motivation, responsibility, and enthusiasm.
PREFERRED REQUIREMENTS: A professional journalism qualification
For submissions: apply via Future Publishing's career site