The 2nd Annual Aboriginal Writers Retreat to be held at Spring Valley Guest Ranch, Ravenscrag, SK August 15—19, 2012 is an opportunity for beginning and emerging Aboriginal writers who want a combination of writing time, instruction and feedback.
At the SWG Facilitated Retreat, as well as undisturbed writing time, the Writer-In-Residence, Dr. Jesse Archibald-Barber will give an introductory talk on an aspect of writing, provide one hour of one-on-one discussion for feedback on the participants’ writing and/or answers to writing-related questions, and join in with informal discussion at mealtimes with the participants. The Facilitated Retreat is designed as a time for writers to focus on the writing they would like to do and to gain encouragement and motivation by interacting with the Writer-In-Residence and their fellow participants.
Fortunately, we have received sponsorship from ISC, SGI, SaskTel and the Office of the Treaty Commissioner so there is no fee and attendance at the retreat includes a private room and all meals, as well as access to the Writer-In-Residence as described above. The maximum number of participants will be 6 writers.
ABORIGINAL RETREAT APPLICATION GUIDELINES
Applications must be legible and should include:
1. The completed application form from the retreat website.
2. A covering letter that states:
- Your name, address and phone numbers;
- A short description of the type of work to be done at the retreat;
3. 1 - 3 typewritten pages of manuscript —send a sample of what you will be working on as well as previous work (submit your best work). All work will be returned or destroyed after selection process.
4. A creative résumé, including publications
5. There is no Fee. Please do not send any money with your application.
Do not use staples, binders or sheets that are not 8½ x 11". Paper clips are acceptable. Manuscript pages in excess of ten pages will not be processed. For online submissions, please follow online application procedure as noted on the application form below.
Applicants should note that if space is limited, previous retreat stays will determine residency, with preference given to those who have not had previous opportunities to attend. Preference will be given to Saskatchewan residents.
Applicants who apply by the deadline will be given first consideration although, if there are spaces available, applications will be considered up to two weeks prior to the beginning of the retreat period desired.
APPLICANTS MAY USE ONE OF FOUR METHODS TO SUBMIT:
1. Applications sent by mail should be addressed to:
Saskatchewan Aboriginal Writers’ Retreat
c/o Saskatchewan Writers’ Guild
Regina, SK S4P 3R9
2. Email: Applications and supporting materials using email should be sent to email@example.com
3. Hand delivery using the following document: 2nd Annual Aboriginal Writers’ Retreat Application Form. Please ensure that your application is legible.
Applications being hand-delivered (in person or courier only) should go to:
Saskatchewan Writers' Guild
Suite 100, 1150 - 8th Avenue
Regina, SK S4R 1C9
4. Online, using the application form here: when applying online, please ensure that your application has been sent by checking for error messages on the form. Incomplete or inaccurate applications will be indicated by an error message in red at the top of the application. You will receive a confirmation email that it has been received.
For queries: contact Joely BigEagle, Aboriginal Program Coordinator, at (306) 791-7744 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
For submissions: via the online retreat application form (scroll down)