The first Indigenous Slam Championship was held in 2008 in Vancouver as a welcoming gesture to the First Nations communities in the Vancouver area. After discussing with Poetry Slam, Inc., they have graciously decided to authorize the winner of this slam to represent at iWPS (the Individual World Poetry Slam Championship) in Fayetteville, Arkansas this October!
We hope all of you amazing Indigenous poets and slammers out there will join us for this amazing event!
You can find our more information about how a Poetry Slam works on the "What Is Poetry Slam" tab or you can email us at: email@example.com.
- Prelims will take place on Friday, September 7th in collaboration with Returning the Gift 2012 at the Hefter Conference Center - UW Milwaukee
- Finals will take place on Saturday, September 8th as part of the Indian Summer Festival, Henry Maier Festival Park, downtown Milwaukee
- Venues will be determined at a later date.
Who can register: This slam is for those poets and writers who are considered Indigenous either through tribal enrollment or direct family lineage. Participants must be able to provide information regarding their family/Indigenous background at the time of registration, including tribal representation. $50 will get you a registered spot plus a limited edition t-shirt (save $20 off the registration if you have also registered for RTG!)
- $400 cash prize to the winner plus
- Registration for iWPS in October ($150 value) plus
- Travel funds to Arkansas for iWPS plus
- The title of Indigenous Slam Champion!
Link: registration page
For queries: firstname.lastname@example.org